For my first blog of the year, I thought I would do something completely different.
For those who have known me for a while, you already know that one of my favorite pastimes outside of work is reading novels. I usually have 2 books on the go: one that I actually read and another one that I listen to in the car on my way to and from work. I started this when I opened my practice downtown which meant adding a 30 minutes drive each way to my day. I have found that listening to a book during my drive not only makes the drive enjoyable and go quicker but is actually relaxing.
Finding a good book can be a challenge, well for me it is anyways. And I mean a really good book. One that will stay with you for a long time and maybe even change how you see life, perceive other cultures and historical events and be mesmerized by the inner strength of certain individuals. If I look back at my reading over the past few years, I would say that I have had to read 5 or 6, for one to really strike a chord for me.
On more than one occasion, I have found myself writing your recommendations down on a piece of paper or vice versa, to you in my terrible writing, a few of my favorite books. So I thought, why not make it easy and legible and share my list of my most treasured reads. This list is not meant to be anything other than my favorite books list. I don’t have any credentials whatsoever as a book critic and certainly do not pretend to be any such thing. I just found the following books to be emotionally charged, powerful and beautifully written in their own merits.
So here they are, my 11 most memorable reads to date. Prepare yourself to shed a few tears…
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (2015)
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (2006)
- The Orphan Train by Christina Baker (2013)
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (2014)
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Husseini (2007)
- Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghes (2009)
- The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (2008)
- All the Mountains that Echoed by Khaled Husseini (2013)
- Sarah’s Keys by Tatiana de Rosney (2006)
- My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2009)
- Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See (2005)
I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I have. And thank you to all of you who have recommended your favorites to me over the years.
If you have read other books that you found to be extraordinary, I would love to hear about your recommendations. Please email me at [email protected].
Caroline Tosoni MD