The skin is your body’s largest organ. It cushions and protects your entire body from outside elements such as environmental toxins, the sun, and extreme weather conditions. In order to do its job properly, it must be performing at optimal level.
Ensuring that your skin is working at peak performance entails any number of factors including eating right (which we discussed in our last blog), exercise, not smoking, and proper daily skincare. The later can really be quite simple. In addition to applying your sunscreen daily and reapplying it as required, which remains a constant in skin care, proper daily skin care includes:
- Removing your makeup every night before bed and washing your face in the morning with a gentle cleanser. This allows your skin to breathe and reduces the incidence of acne and black heads.
- Moisturizing morning and night.
- Protecting your skin from the environment’s free radicals with antioxidants such as SkinMedica’s Vitamin C/E Complex or the GMC Medical 10% or 20% Vitamin C serum.
- Repairing and treating your skin at night. This is typically done with a combination of a 0.25%, 0.5% or 1% retinol based cream, and an anti-aging serum such as the SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum, GMC Medical A.G.E. Defense cream or GF Advanced Derm Cream.
The important things to keep in mind with skincare are:
- Using products that are formulated specifically for your skin type whether it’s dry, oily, acne prone, sun damaged or aging.
- Choosing a consistency that suits you (lotion, serum, cream, milk, gel).
- Changing your skincare products seasonally. Even when using the best skin care lines, it is recommended that you switch some of the key individual products in order to adapt your skin care regime to the change of seasons. We are always happy to guide you through these transitions.
Here are a few tips that will quickly and easily update your skincare routine for fall:
- Moisturize: The temperature outside is about to drop. Not only does this mean that we turn up the heat, which is hard on the skin, but cold air and artificial heat both sap moisture. Since moisture contributes to making our skin supple, plump and thus younger looking, it needs to be addressed ritually. Regardless of your skin type, once the cold weather hits, it’s imperative that you apply extra moisture. One of my favorites is the Dermal Repair Cream from SkinMedica. Another great SkinMedica product is the Hydrating Complex. This unique product allows any moisturizer to penetrate deeper into the skin. It essentially potentiates it. I will usually recommend this to my patients with very dry, mature or menopausal skin.
- Change Your Cleanser: With less moisture in the air, now’s the time to switch to a more gentle cleanser. SkinMedica Sensitive Cleanser, Obagi Gentle cleanser and GMC Medical Soothing Cleansing Milk are all excellent options.
- Lasers, Microdermabrasion, Facials and Peels Become your Friends: Since the summer sun is taking a rest, fall is an ideal time to tackle sun damage on the face, chest and hands. This can be achieved with Lasers such as the Fraxel 1927/1550, Intense Pulse Light treatments such as the FotoFacial or Chemical peels. Microdermabrasion and our SkinMedica Synergistic or Calming Facials are also a great way to replenish moisture and restore a youthful glow to the skin.