Skin quality is a critical factor in maintaining a youthful appearance. Most of my work is to help repair and rejuvenate the skin of my patients, but healthy looking skin always starts at home. You actually have a big role to play in ensuring beautiful skin.
Though youthful looking skin is partly about genetics, it’s also about lifestyle choices such as whether we sit in the sun or smoke, how we manage stress, the quality of the skin care regime we choose, and what we eat. In my opinion, what we put in our mouths is as important to the skin as what we put on it. Eating foods that are packed with the right vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, particularly ones rich in anti-oxidants, can literally change your skin tone and texture, help reduce acne, and even combat fine lines and wrinkles. It may sound cliché but there is definitively truth in the saying “we are what we eat”!
Here is a list of a few skin “Super Foods” that will help you to “turn back the clock” with every meal:
- Tomatoes – Full of lycopene, an anti-oxidant compound that’s been proven to help the skin fight off the aging affects of free radical damage caused by the sun’s rays, tomatoes top our list. For best results, cook them with a healthy fat such as olive oil.
- Avocados – Speaking of healthy fats, avocados are chock full of oleic acid, an Omega-9 fatty acid, that helps the skin to retain moisture, making it plumper, smoother and more supple.
- Dark Leafy Greens – Kale, spinach, collard greens, arugula, and dandelion greens pack a much healthier punch than lettuce. Full of Vitamin K, iron and folate, these greens have been proven to help bolster our cell’s ability to renew themselves. Which is literally the fountain of youth.
- Blueberries – A great source of Vitamins C and E, two anti-oxidants that work together to brighten skin tone and texture, blueberries are the perfect skin snack. Next time that you want chips, pop a few blueberries instead.
- Green Tea – A 2007 study found that drinking 2-6 cups of green tea a day can help prevent skin cancer and reverse sun damage. In addition, it’s loaded with catechins, a natural anti-inflammatory, to reduce skin redness, acne and puffiness.